Saturday, August 6, 2011

Need an affordable document camera?

Check this thing out: 


If you have ever had the chance to use a document camera in your classroom, you know the power it holds! Everyone being able to see exactly what your doing without making a trip to the demo table. Sadly, I haven't had the chance to keep one in my room, but that won't stop me. I've found the iPevo Point 2 View USB camera. I did some extensive youtube searching and I think this may just be the choice for me this year. At a price of 68 dollars, how can I resist? It seems to work just like a document camera without the cost. I'll be having some of that!

As I viewed all of these youtube videos it seemed everyone was consumed with showing how it can project their ipod with clarity. This got me thinking...could there be any games or activities that I could play with using my fancy, new document "camerish" device and my ipod?

I went on the hunt and although I didn't find everything I hoped for, what I did find were some cool apps that you could play with when there is a little free time left in the class...or while you waiting for that teacher that just isn't quite on time.

First up...
#1 Kid's Art Puzzle: Sliding Slices!

This app is way too fun! Simply open the application, pick a famous piece of artwork and start sliding the pieces around to get the image back to its original position. I will say, this was a bit difficult for me until I found the "settings" tab which let's you choose the level of difficulty.

#2 Ed Emberley's Shake & Make:

This little app offers a lot of fun. It is another puzzle game. You pick an Ed Emberley drawing, shake the ipod and the image breaks and falls to the bottom of the screen in multiple pieces. Your job is to move them up the screen and lock them into place to recreate the image. I've got to say, this is a little time consuming, but fortunately there is a hint button at the top that lets you see exactly what the image looked like BEFORE it broke into all those tiny parts.

#3 Doodle Find

This app is not necessarily as educational as the others, but if it involves any type of visual discrimination, I'm game. This is by far the most addictive of all the apps listed. I've found myself playing it at least once a day. Your mission is to find as many objects as possible within the small time window given. It is fast paced, so this may be a game for the upper grades.


#4 Let's Create! Pottery
Now this one I haven't had the pleasure of purchasing just let. I need to drag out that iTunes gift card I have lying in some purse...somewhere. I did want to mention it though due to its stellar reviews and the video I saw on here on youtube. Most of my students have never even seen a wheel so here they can manipulate and at least get to experience it virtually. I look forward to adding this to my collection.

What about you? Do you have any apps or super deals to share. Be sure to comment. I'd love to hear what you've found!

1 comment: